Wednesday, December 17, 2008

i cry

I think that I have given the impression in previous posts that I NEVER cry. That is certainly not the case. I RARELY cry. However, the following are things that can actually make me cry (aside from the obvious heartbreaks of the dating world):

1. Old people
A few weeks ago my ward delivered Thanksgiving food boxes to elderly people in an apartment complex in Salt Lake for the Utah Food Bank. The complex is designed for low income elderly people to reside. As my friend Paul and I knocked on each door, we were greeted by very friendly, very lonely old people. Each person lived alone. One woman was particularly touching. She asked us to bring her food in and put it in her kitchen for her. She reminded me of my own grandmother that is now passed away. She was sitting a mint green winged-back chair watching The Wheel of Fortune with all sorts of knick knacks on the table in front of her. She was in a floral print night gown and grinned from ear to ear the whole while we were there. The first thing I noticed when we walked in was her long table filled with pictures of what I can only assume are her grandchildren and family. As we made room in her freezer for her food, she pulled out a single chocolate chip cookie in a ziploc that had been saved in her freezer for some special occasion. She offered it to me and my friend. This made me laugh a little. As we tried to leave, she offered us some candy from her dish that was no where to be found. After a few minutes of searching for the missing candy dish, we told her we had to go. She felt so bad that she couldn't find it and felt even worse that we had to leave. This made me cry.

2. Babies and children
I was no good at being a teacher. Any time a student came to me to tell me that another student had been picking on them I would get upset. I had to act logically as a teacher, but as soon as I talked to the student, gave them a hug, and sent them back to recess, I always cried a little bit. 
I cry a little every time I hold a new baby.

3. Small animals
Big animals don't affect me so much, but there's something about small, seemingly-helpless animals. I cried like a baby at the age of 22 when our family dog of 15 years was put to sleep. I almost cried last night when I accidentally ran over a dead kitten in the road. And then I threw up a little in my mouth. I can't watch TV programs that involve sad stories about small animals. On the way to church on I-15 last winter there was a small dog in the middle of the freeway near the Beck Street Exit. I pulled off to the side and called my mom to see where I should take the dog once I caught it (which I planned to do). My mom yelled at me louder than I've ever heard her yell as she told me to get back in my car and threatened to kill me if I crossed I-15 on foot. After a few minutes she talked me into letting the dog be and driving on to church. I cried the rest of the way to church, thinking about that poor dog. Although I tell myself that he found the exit and his way home to a loving family.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

That lady you described sounded just like Grandma Mitchell. You could never get out of her house without a treat. I sure hope that dog made it safely home. How sad! You are pretty brave to chase a dog on I-15!

Marcie said...

I think we cry at the same types of things-so we are both weird. I can't ever see a little old lady in black knit pants and some sort of pleather opened toed shoe, or a small dog that resembles winnie with out my eyes watering up. Oh sorry again for calling you while you were on a vacation and spilling to news about Winnie.

Hollie said...

Before having kids, I used to cry over kids who were getting yelled out by their moms at Walmart. It all stopped after one trip to Walmart when I saw a woman looking at me and my kids and crying.

"The Queen in Residence" said...

I think that is why we all love you so much. You wear your heart out there and are just real. I am glad that your mom got you back in the car,never gamble with cars on I-15.

I hate to tell you this but it just gets worse as you get older.....I cry at everything now. I have kleenex at the ready for those moments.....but a good cry, compassion in a world not filled with it, and love to serve others is a quality that is deserving of praise.

Merry Christmas to you!!!♥

oof said...

Remind me to never watch Old Yeller or Swing Kids with you. It would be bad.