Friday, December 26, 2008

A Little Bit Goes a Long Way

This cute boy sitting on my lap is one of my nephews. He happens to be the nephew who made my Christmas this year. :)
Like any single person, there are aspects of Christmas that I dread every year. I love the season, the shopping, the food, and the family. But sometimes the family parties, and other parties, can be painful to get through. I have been the only single sibling in my family for 7 or 8 years now and I feel like this year was the first year that I felt okay about braving another Christmas Eve alone. Some of my nieces and nephews are a little older now and keep me company at the parties, that helps a whole lot.
This Christmas Eve, the nephew pictured above showed up at my parents' house and marched straight downstairs towards me, with a little green box in his hand. He said, "This is for you, Megan." And he handed me the box. I've never received a Christmas gift from a niece of nephew before because they're all pretty young. They're just learning to get gifts for their siblings and a cousin whose name they draw. So the single act of him giving me a gift melted my heart right then and there. I gave him a big squeeze and told him that I loved him. He ran off to play with his cousins.
After he walked away his mom told me that when they were at Target a few weeks ago, my nephew had seen this gift and mentioned to his mom that it would be something that I would like. Even though I wasn't on his list of people to shop for, he decided to get the gift for me and pay for it with his own money. He is only five, so you can imagine that he doesn't have much of his own money to begin with.
At the end of the evening's festivities, after all the kids had opened their presents, I opened my gift from my nephew. Inside the box were two pairs of mittens. They DID look like something that I would like. In fact, I had seen them myself at Target and commented on how cute they were to my friend. My nephew was so excited about his gift for me. His little tender heart understands at a young age how good it feels to do things for other people. He has no idea how much his little act meant to me. I get choked up every time I think about it or brag to my friends about my new mittens. It just goes to show that a little bit can go a long way!

7 comments:

Michelle said...

That was a sweet story. Good for you for braving another Christmas alone, I'm re-learning how to do it myself.

Lincoln and Alisia said...

That is so adorable!

The Johnson Fam said...

What a nice little guy...you know he is going to treat his future girlfriends so gooood! He really captured the Christmas spirit. I think those mittens are so you! I hope you had a wonderful holiday.

Marcie said...

He was so sweet to think of you. The gloves are so YOU!

Chaleese said...

What a sweet little guy :)

Hollie said...

You just made his day by having a post just about him.
All of my kids adore you. But G loves you the most, what with your DS and all..

"The Queen in Residence" said...

Kids really do get it, and know just when to do something that makes us melt. What a darling nephew you have.
Happy New Year!!!