Monday, January 5, 2009

2008 Was Pretty Great... 2009 Should Be Just Fine.

If I'm being completely honest, 2008 was more strange than great... but it's hard to find a synonym for strange that rhymes with eight. So there you go. 

Here are some highlights from 2008:

January 2008

Okay, not a good start. If I'm being completely honest (again), nothing from this month really stands out in my memory. I had returned to teaching 4th great after a fabulous Christmas break and was at the point in my career where I was seriously contemplating trying something other than teaching for the first time.

February 2008

I went to St. George with two of my good friends. The reason this trip stands out so much is because it was on this trip that I saw a chick flick... on opening night... for the first time. This was, of course, not by choice. But it was certainly a good learning experience for me. I learned that I still don't like chick flicks.
I had roses delivered to my classroom on Valentine's Day; my first ever Valentine's roses! It caused quite a stir with my students when I read the note that accompanied the flowers: From someone who loves and admires you very much! I didn't have the heart to tell them that they were from my sister. :)

March 2008

I went back to St. George with a few friends where I got my first third degree sunburn of 2008. I also discovered that I am a head stand champion... and I still reign as such to this day!
Oh, I also began the interview process with the company that I now work for.
I began working out with a personal trainer... that didn't last long.

April 2008

My then fourth grade team produced our 4th Grade Program all about Utah. It took months and months of preparation, but was worth every minute. My cute blog friend and parent of a former student came one Friday afternoon to help us paint huge plywood props for the program. Bless her heart, she was the only parent that showed up! I would have died without her that year!

I accepted a job position with the company that I currently work for.

I had a student fall asleep in class for the first time! I made the class work on something quietly so he could keep resting. 
May 2008

I had my very first pedicure.

I threw a HUGE, KILLER garden party with my best friends. We hung Chinese lanterns all over the yard... I've always wanted to have a party decorated with Chinese lanterns!
I ended my third and final year of teaching school.

I attended a swim party with some of my students.

June 2008

I went to San Diego with three of my best friends and became more sick than I have been in years. I missed my returning flight home and spent the night in a dirty, cramped airport on a sticky McDonald's bench, next to the dumpster. I stayed awake the entire night for the first time in my life.
I turned 25. I treated myself to an entire day at the spa. 
I began working for the publishing company.

I bought a Mac. I will never go back.
My friends and I purchased Lagoon season passes and formed the "Lagoonies."

July 2008

I finally bought a decent camera so that I could take better pictures of all my adorable nephews and nieces. 

I rode the Front Runner for the first time with my friend Jared and we somehow got lost... in Salt Lake!!
I went to The Police concert with my friend Robbie.

I went to the John Mayer concert with my friend Collin.
August 2008

I went to Flaming Gorge with my ward where we got rained out. I won "King of the Hill" while being pulled on a tube behind a boat for the first time!

I saw the MPH gauge on my car reach over 110 for the first AND last time ever.

I stopped working out with a personal trainer.

September 2008

I went to Star Valley with some of my closest friends... where I realized that I'd rather travel with my friends than with a boyfriend. 
I finally found a pair of jeans that I like! :)

October 2008

I went to St. George again with a couple friends and saw Metro Station in concert.... and learned that I don't care for Metro Station as much as I thought I did.
I discovered that neon colors are "hip," yet again.
I became the proud owner of a fog machine.

My friends and I threw a kick-A Halloween party where I debuted my adorable witch costume made by my sister and began having a huge crush on a boy.... a crush that would continue for months to come. Also, most of my friends dressed up as gay tennis players. I don't get it either.

November 2008

I saw the midnight showing of "Twilight" as a favor for my best friend. I hated it.
I began a three week hobby in digital scrapbooking.
I began to notice the effects of not working out with a personal trainer... or at all. Yikes!

December 2008

I got to spend time with my very best friends!!
I witnessed the square that bounces around the screen saver bounce RIGHT into the corner of the screen!
I played Joseph in our family nativity skit.

I ended the year very, very blessed with a great family, loving friends, and my health. I made it!!

14 comments:

Saunders Family said...

Meg, I LOVE that you did a year end review with pictures. What a cute idea! I miss seeing you everyday at work.

Jenny H said...

San Diego, John Mayer, parties with friends...all my favorite things. You sure do have a lot of people in your life who love you. I hope 2009 is even better for you.

JjHansen said...

What?!? No mention or visual documentation of your office Guitar Hero competition? You are the champion, after all.

Marcie said...

Wow that was a pretty good year! You know what they say..."Once you MAC you never go back." Good post sis.

Mechelle said...

I just love you Meg! It looks and sounds like you have been very busy! trips- concerts- spa days! How fun! I hope that this year brings all that you could wish for and more!

Lincoln and Alisia said...

How do you not like chick flicks?

Lindsay said...

You are so creative! I love reading your blog and looking at all the great pictures.

I don't like chick flicks either.

Michelle said...

I think 2009 needs to have more of your Mexican friend Michelle in it.

"The Queen in Residence" said...

I cannot believe that was all just last year, it already seems so long ago.

Wishing you all the best in 2009. We are off to a very slow start around here....winter blues I guess.♥

Menlove Family said...

Looks like a fun year! You are so cute and crazy!!!

Andrea said...

It's not really "blog stalking" if we are already facebook friends is it????

Seriously you are the CUTEST ever. I loved all of your pics (along with the explainations) EXCEPT the dislking of Twilight. Let's be honest, you only hated (such a strong word) it because it shut off half way through the movie. Otherwise I know it would have ranked on your FAV of all time.

PS: You are going to have to give my sis a hard time, because she very AVIDLY stated that only married housewives blog, and super cool single people--use facebook!! I would dare say you can do both!!

Hollie said...

As a fellow Twilight hater (not just the movie, but the ridiculously long and poorly written books too)I have to say, good post.
Love you Meg!

Tatiana said...

So glad that you had a fantastic 2008. I too had my first pedicure last year. Spa days are good and of course the impossible task of finding jeans. Way to go! Best of luck for 2009!
Tatiana

Tatiana said...

So glad that you had a fantastic 2008. I too had my first pedicure last year. Spa days are good and of course the impossible task of finding jeans. Way to go! Best of luck for 2009!
Tatiana