Friday, November 20, 2009

I'd like to take this opportunity to cry.

I'm sitting at my desk in my office, drinking Diet Coke, snacking on Sixlets (mostly just the orange ones) and Hot Tamales which I began eating at 9:00am, and listening to Jimmy Eat World's "Last Christmas" on repeat. My eyes are puffy from crying for almost 10 straight hours yesterday and I'm so tired.

Last night I had a dream that a gal pal of mine was over at my parent's house visiting with me and my mom who happened to be in just her underwear. We realized we'd left the front door open and a man named Paul Bunyan, who looked eerily similar to Santa Clause, slipped in the front door while his wife who was almost 7 feet tall like her husband waited on the porch. I refused to believe that he was Paul Bunyan and I ran upstairs to call 911 on my cell phone. After a few attempts, because I couldn't remember the number, I finally got through to the dispatcher— Donny Osmand. He told me to believe in this man; if he said he was Paul Bunyan, he probably was. Then he closed the conversation with an inspiring line that I don't remember exactly. It was something like, "Chase your dreams. Which I recognized in my dream as the title of his just-released biography. I hung up on Donny, angry. I marched downstairs to find Paul Bunyan had made friends with my family. I was angry and kicked him out. He then lifted our house off the ground and set it back down on its side to prove to me he was, indeed, Paul Bunyan. I felt horrible for not believing him and ran after him as he was leaving to beg his forgiveness... he immediately transformed into Santa Clause and told me to be a good girl this year.

That's about how my brain is functioning these days. I am a zombie. My whole life is changing. Everything I know and have known for years will be different. I am completely in love with T.M.I.G.T.M. and couldn't ever imagine being with anyone else or trying to live without him. But marriage is hard, and scary. I never wanted to be married until I met T.M.I.G.T.M. Never. This is a huge paradigm shift, and it came rather quickly. My logical brain isn't sure what to do with all this change and these emotions. It's really hard. And I cry a lot, which I never have before. I know how to be single, I'm good at it. I don't know how to be married— trying new things makes me uneasy. My brain is mush and I feel like I can't completely be my normal self until I've settled into this transition. I so badly want normal life. And normal dreams, for that matter.

Here's to the wedding being over and hoping for a speedy mental recovery from all of the change!

6 comments:

Michelle said...

love you meg.

marriage is a good change, you'll be fine...promise.

now dry your eyes lady, you're getting married tomorrow!

(AND if that's not enough, you get to see ME!)

jess said...

I love your honesty!! Marriage is wonderful-especially when you've waited so long to find Mr. Right!!

I hope we can get together for dinner sometime soon.. when your life settle down!!

Good luck tomorrow XOXO

oof said...

Xanax, Valium, Ativan, and Versed are all your friends. Just don't take too much or you'll end up like Molly Ringwald's older sister in sixteen candles...

Hollie said...

Love you Meg. But I just have one question; is the economy so bad that Donny Osmond is working as a dispatcher? No one would be able to see his winning smile over the phone. What a shame.

Jenny Hansen Lane said...

One fine day, I will know how this feels, at least the ending. I heart the singularity of my life but it's not the promised land, its just the dock.....waiting for the boat..

congrats

Lincoln and Alisia said...

OH my gosh, I remember those feelings exactly! And then I feel those feelings all over again when we think about having kids!! I have a hard time with huge life changers. You become good a being single. Then you become good at being married w/out kids, then... well, you catch the drift. Life is always changing, and when you know the change is coming, it is hard to let go.