Sunday, November 15, 2009

The More You Read, The More You Know... Sometimes.

For some reason, I feel this need to try to go against the grain of what people would expect an "average" girl my age, in my circumstances to do. I don't know why. I don't know what I feel like I've had to prove.

The Harry Potter series hit its climax while I was in college. Though it's not a "girly" series, by any means, every girl I knew was knee deep in Potter hysteria. I refused to read it— until I taught elementary school. It was a survival skill I needed to remain hip with the kiddos. And I liked the series okay, especially the third book. But I won't admit that to many people.

Then there was the whole college scene of dating and every girl acting like she wanted only to meet boys, date, and find a boyfriend. I made sure I acted like I didn't care whether or not I dated, didn't care much about the boys I dated, and didn't hurt much when things ended badly— though I always felt more than I let on.

And so this instinct of mine, to defy what people would expect of me (though I don't always want to), has stuck with me over the years. And every once in a while, there is a trend that I'm truly, honestly, okay not following. One of which would be the Twilight craze. I love to read, almost as much as I love to eat Muddy Buddies, snuggle with my nieces and nephews, or write about my droning life events on here. But I simply cannot bring myself to read that series. After growing up on books like "Babysitter's Club," and "Sweet Valley High," I made a vow to myself to only read real, enriching literature after I was finally introduced to it in my high school years.

On my quest to become well-read with the classics, I was encouraged to read Orwell's "1984" by a number of people. I was told it would give me a lot to think about and that it was almost unheard of to not have read it, if I were to claim to be a fan of the classics. So, while in a book shop in Sienna this summer, I picked it up for the long, lonely journey home. (Which didn't end up being so lonely, thanks to a drunken Patrick Swayze look-alike in denim shorts and Dr. Martens boots. That's a story for another day.) Anyhow, I eventually read the book and eventually regretted it. It was a regurgitation of the many books written after it's kind. I should have re-read "Anthem" to get the same "Down with Big Brother" ideals in a much shorter page count, and with many fewer sexual references.

Since completing that book, I haven't had much time for reading... until this last week since I've been sick. I needed a light read. Something full of hope and big words on the page (I had a head ache). I picked up a book I'd purchased from the notorious book orders when I was a teacher and decided to give it a whirl. I knew the author's other books were about princesses and girls coming of age, but I needed something to read, and decided to tell no one I was reading this girly book. But I read it, in under a 12 hour period. Don't be too impressed, the print is quite large. It was written by a local author, Shannon Hale. And it was a well-written book loosely based on a Grimms fairy tale. It was absolutely wonderful. So much so that I publicly recommend it to you:


And now, before I can bring myself to return to the world of Hawthorne, Orwell, Melville, and Thoreau, I return to my beloved copy of "Emma." Because it's okay to enjoy a girly book now and then... especially if it's written by an author acclaimed for her talents in capturing human emotions, the anguish of the clash of classes, and the essence of life in her time... and not some silly romance novel based on tension between demonic icons and frivolous girls with no backbones. (I know this, for I saw the first movie... as a favor to my best friend. For which she will be forever indebted to me).

Read on, Interweb. Read on.

May you find yourself engrossed in good literature. The kind that expands your mind, teaches you new things, and makes you a little more interesting. Because, hey, who wouldn't want to be a little more interesting?

4 comments:

Alisha said...

Well said! I feel the same way about Twilight. And thanks for the recommendation, I've been craving a good book. I recently read Dan Brown's new book, and I'm trying to remember why I picked it up. It was retarded and full of demonic and sick things. I'm excited to read this book you suggested, I think I'll go get it today!

Chaleese said...

I LOVE reading. Book of a Thousand Days is one of my favorites. The Goose Girl is a great read too, also by Shannon Hale. I have read so many books this year. Reading is my passion. I love fantasy. As for the Twilight series, you honestly don't know what you are missing....best books of all time. Trust me, like I said, I have read so many books, and this is still my favorite. I know my opinion does not mean much, but...I'm just saying.

Hollie said...

Meg, I love you. I love that you read. Thanks for the book suggestion. I'll read it after I finish "Little Women" for the 10th time in my life.
I read Twilight, the whole series. I'm still waiting to see what the big deal is about them. I just don't get it I guess. I gave my copies to charity because I didn't want Addi (or my boys) to have access to such crappy literature about a spineless girl whose only purpose is to marry a guy who treats her like garbage except for when he is trying not to kill her while making out. Giving my books to DI was apparently the talk of the ward. Women were saying things like, "Can you believe someone gave the whole Twilight series away. Like, what will that lady read now!" Umm yah, there's nothing else to read.

Andrea said...

Megs, I have a suggestion for you and take it for what its worth. My latest favorite series was The Brothers series by Chris Stewart. Even if you only read the first book, it gives you a new perspective on what happened in the premortal life.

The Twilight series, I will admit, I did read it, I liked it, I didn't love it. However, I did read through them rather quickly, but again, I was trying to be hip with the kids at school. Oh the things that teachers do for their students.

So in short, my recommendation for your next series if you so choose, is The Brothers series. Let me know how you like it.