Friday, January 23, 2009

I Left the Gun and Took the Canoli

Last weekend my friend and I made a quick getaway to St. George for the weekend. Her parents happen to own a very nice house down there and we happen to take advantage of it as often as we can. We have been five times in the past nine months, but this was the first time we went with just the two of us. Our goal was to read, watch The Godfather, shop, sleep, and wear no makeup for the weekend. After stopping at a couple different Davis County Libraries to get some good books on tape for the drive, we grabbed a smoothie, some chocolate chip cookies, and we were off! We didn't get there until late Friday night. We slept in on Saturday so that we'd have the energy needed to shop the day away, which we did. My friend taught me how to shop at TJ Max'n More. I feel like I'm on the verge of having a panic attack anytime I step foot into a TJ Max or Ross. I don't even know where to begin! But she reassured me that the "'n More" in the title meant that it was a cut above other TJ Max stores. Whether the "n More" had anything to do with it or not, I managed to find some really great things... that I didn't necessarily need.
That night we grabbed some dinner and popped in the first disc of The Godfather. Neither of us had seen any of the Godfather movies, and we decided it was time to see what all the fuss is about. Can I just say, that I finally see what all the fuss is about... Al Pacino was HOT when he was young!! However, had I known that Diane Keaton was in the movie, I wouldn't have bothered. She makes my skin crawl.
Sunday consisted of church with a Samoan choir, a picnic lunch out at some canyon, reading, and the last 2 Godfather movies. Well, at least the 2nd Godfather movie and a few minutes of the 3rd. All of the movies are pretty violent, but the third is the only movie that is set in more contemporary times. I think it got a little too violent and was a little too real with the setting. We shut it off about 15 minutes into the movie... and now I will never know what happens to the Godfather. If you know, PLEASE tell me what happens in the last movie!! All I know is that they made Al Pacino look old and he wasn't hot at all. Perhaps that's why we really turned the movie off.
Monday we slept in to try to counter the effects of the conversation that ran into the wee hours of the morning. We cleaned the house and headed for home. I think we were both secretly excited to leave so that we could finish our book on tape that we'd started on the way down.

I learned a lot that weekend.

I learned to leave the gun and take the Canoli.

I learned that if you anger a mob head, he will kill your $350,000 horse and put its head in your bed while you're sleeping.

I learned that actors that I find attractive now, will someday be unappealing to future generations.

I learned that Al Pacino was really hot when he was young. I don't know if I'd mentioned that already.

I learned that any male looks awesome in a pin strip, 5-button suit with a hat.

I learned to go to the mattresses when things get tough.

I learned to be leery of a brother who claims to have forgiven me for attempting to murder him because he might send me out on a fishing boat with a hitman. He is, after all, a mob head.

I learned that Diane Keaton bugs me whether she's a blonde or a brunette.

I learned that I don't want to marry into the Italian mafia, after all.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Would you want to marry into the Italian mob if your husband looked just like the young Al Pacino? I would reconsider if I were you.

Lindsay said...

I love your blog, I really do. You have such great things to say and you say them so well.