Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Showered With Gifts... And Attention





Last night was my very first bridal shower. Three of my very best friends threw this party for me. I call it a party because we laughed the whole time and ate lots and lots of delicious sweets! I have always dreaded any kind of shower (except the kind that keeps you clean and covers the bathroom mirrors with steam)... even my own bridal showers. But this was SO FUN!

I have to admit, though, that I think this cultural tradition of ours is very, very odd. First of all, after mingling a bit and eating some goodies, everyone sat down in a circle and stared at me. I felt a little like a circus monkey or at the very least a winter window display at Macy's. I had an almost completely captive audience of good friends who suddenly acted as though they were hearing me speak for the very first time. I like attention as much as the next gal, but not of this magnitude. Then my cute friends who threw the shower shared a funny video of my fiancé answering questions... which lightened the mood and made us all laugh really hard. (Don't tell him, it'll go right to his head.)

THEN the strangest thing happened... everyone started handing me gifts, for no reason other than my pending nuptials! I felt so silly. I should have accomplished something or won an award to merit that kind of attention and those kinds of gifts. Even today, I feel a little silly and spoiled. Perhaps I'll go do something big and noble today, so I feel like I've earned all the doting. Then again, I'm sick, AND pretty busy today... so maybe tomorrow... or the next day....

I forgot to take pictures until almost all the guests were gone. Luckily, I got some of my BFFs. The others are just going to have to recreate the night so we can get proof that they were there.
Some of my best friends...
Oh, the memories we share!
When you're as cool as Michelle, you carry a film camera at all times.
This little stud had all the guest eating out of the palm of his hand...
or was it the other way around?
And our little night owl stayed up later than she has in years...
that's how much she loves me! ;)

Thanks for the wonderful evening, friend-Os!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute! I love bridal showers, I can only imagine how much fun it is when it's your own! :)

Michelle said...

oh, man. I really tried to not look as tired as I was feeling but alas, I failed.

It was a lovely shower and so good to see you Megan!