Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Sugar Free

I am known for having a sweet tooth of sorts. I have had the recipe for Muddy Buddies memorized since I was 9 years old. And I have made a batch in under 10 minutes on EVERY Thursday that an episode of "The Office' has aired.... since it's inception! Also, I have recently discovered a delicious recipe for simple sugar cookies with delicious buttercream frosting that I enjoy making for any occasion. Additionally, my friend Erika introduced me to cupcakes made from scratch.... I never knew it was possible!! For my 25th birthday this past June, I had FOUR people give me large bags of Peanut M & M's because they know just how much those chocolatey morsels mean to me. My life is ruled by sugar!! 


I had no idea how bad it was until some of my friends decided to enter a sugar free challenge. There are five of us involved, three of which have severe cases of the sweet tooth, myself included. I don't know how my friend got the idea for this challenge, but it couldn't have come at a better time! The terms are that we each put some money in the pot, you get ONE DAY a week when you can eat sugar, the other six are sugar free, and whoever lasts the longest takes the money. It just so happens that 3 of the 5 people involved are stubborn ol'mules, myelf included. It could be interesting....
I am beginning my 3rd week of the sugar free challenge and I am doing okay. The first 3 days or so were not pretty. I had no idea just how much I relied on sugar.... or how much sugar I consumed on a daily basis. I was a BEAR to everyone the first few days as I felt my body go through sugar withdrawals.  Then things planed out and I was okay..... just okay. Until the first day I could eat sugar; I ate a small bag of Peanut M & M's, two fun size Kit Kats, a chocolate chip cookie, and two Tootsie Roll Midges. I was ill, to say the least. 
Week two wasn't so bad. I've had to readjust my daily menus to fruits and food with natural sugars to keep me awake at my desk. Labor Day weekend was part of our week two and we decided to lift the ban for two days since we were all out of town together. I made Muddy Buddies, sugar cookies, a different Chex Mix covered in white chocolate that we lovingly call Santa's Crack, and I bought myself a bag of Peanut M & M's. I was ill. Again.
Today I made the decision that in order to win this bet and release myself from the chains of complex sugars, I am no longer going to take my free day of sugar each week. I am nervous just thinking about it! But it's time. I don't like having such a strong dependency on things; especially something as silly as sugar. So, wish me luck. Here goes nothin'!
(p.s. If anyone out there happens to know a sugar free recipe for Muddy Buddies, send it my way.)

3 comments:

"The Queen in Residence" said...

All I can say is you go girl!!! I never and I mean never could do it. I think that is the reason along with the Diet Pepsi that my children have remained alive. But good on you.
Hope that everything else is going good for you.

Marcie said...

Meg I really am going to try this. Just as soon as I eat up ALL the sugur in my house. So by Christmas I should be ready to go! No seriously I admire your will power, I wish I had it(and a bag of M&M's):)!

Natalie and Spencer said...

I love this picture!!