Monday, October 12, 2009

A Page From the Doctor's Book

Sometimes I can be really hard on myself for mistakes I make, flaws that I have, or problems that I'm dealing with. For some strange reason, this is a trait that women deal with to a greater degree than men. But today, TODAY I celebrate my imperfections!

Thank heavens for my crooked teeth, my thighs, my inability to make quick decisions, and my lack of concentration at work.

How boring would it be if my face were perfectly symmetrical, my body was flawless, my mind was always immediately made-up, and I worked non-stop for 8 hours a day without breaking my concentration?!? Everyone would expect me to look flawless all of the time— I would rely on fleeting looks and not on my brain. I wouldn't be able to take input from loved ones on important decisions. And I would be even more high-strung at work than I usually am! I would have nothing to work on, no room to improve, no building of my character to be had. How tragic! How sad for all the nearly perfect people in the world.

Today I make a big step in building my self worth. Today I celebrate my flaws (which are many... too many to list, in fact.) Today I don't care what anyone else thinks about me. Today I am happy and content. Today I am just me, and that's good enough.

"Today you are you!
That is truer than true!
There is no one alive...
...who is you-er than you!
Shout loud, “I am lucky
to be what I am!
Thank goodness I’m not
just a clam or a ham
Or a dusty old jar of
sour gooseberry jam!
I am what I am! That’s a
great thing to be!
If I say so myself,
HAPPY EVERYDAY TO ME!”

-Dr. Seuss

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Megan,
This is great, I'm going to have my students write about this for their bellwork tomorrow, a great thing to think about!

Anonymous said...

Love it! Thanks Megan! :)

Marcie said...

Love this post, and Love you. However I don't think you are as flawed as you think you are, in fact I think being able to recognize and embrase your flaws brings you one step closer to prefection!

ShaeMarie and Ryan said...

I am so glad that you aren't a clam or a ham or a dusty old jar of sour gooseberry jam! I love that you are able to see what a million people (according to your facebook) love and admire about you! I'm with Marcie on this one... you just got one step better!