Wednesday, July 29, 2009

For Lack of a Better Post...

Sometimes I experience a sort of writer's block in blogging. When this happens I usually just post something completely random to get the creative juices flowing again. (Not that I would presume to call myself creative. But you know what I mean.)

I like to to eat Swedish Fish as much as the next guy/gal. I have eaten them for years. But it wasn't until just recently that I made an earth-shattering discovery about this candy that has forever changed the way I feel about the fish of Swede.

No, it's not that they're surprisingly high in calories. (I only pretend to count calories. I see other people do it so often that I pretend to care and check labels so I can kick it.) It's the fact that when eating Swedish Fish, you never completely chew them! It's as if you just chew them for as long as your jaw can take it, then make a conscious decision: "Well, I've been chewing for some time now. I guess I'll give it a swallow and see what happens." This must wreak havoc on our digestive systems! But I'll steer away from all topics digestive.

Then there's the remnants-o-fish that linger in your teeth throughout the remainder of the day. Some people may look at this as a perk, but I find it annoying.

And finally, there's the fact that this same problem, not knowing when to swallow, also applies to one of my most favorite candies... Tootsie Rolls! How can I go on enjoying these candies when I'm no longer ignorant about their consistency and potential digestive problems??


Then there's The Bachelorette.....

I have received some interesting feedback on facebook regarding the fact that I've never seen an episode. And here are the reasons why:
1. I never have time to watch TV. If I do, it's to catch a few minutes of the history channel while I eat something.
2. What woman in their right mind wants to watch another unhumanly-beautiful woman get swooned over by a number of ridiculously attractive single men? Really though. :)
3. True love doesn't develop in front of cameras, in a restricted amount of time, with makeup artists, stylists, and producers on hand. Real love happens in real life.
4. I don't like shows that fill mine and other girls' minds full of fanciful ideas that will inevitably lead to our making fools of ourselves in dating with unrealistic, media-based ideals.

However, I do understand the need for people to have an "escape" and simply be entertained by TV shows. And if that's the purpose The Bachelorette serves, so be it. Just don't talk about it around me.

6 comments:

Siggy said...

Better not look at my blog then... :)

Travis said...

I'm not much of a Bachelorette fan myself, or really any other 'reality' show. It's not because of the unlikelihood of actual love, but because I'm already having a difficult enough time keeping up with people that are in my life. I don't need to add a falsified reality to my worries.

And writers block happens to us all, so you can feel completely normal about that. But don't question your creativity. You've definitely got that.

Hollie said...

I agree with you about Swedish Fish. If you can't break them apart with your teeth, how on earth could your disestive juices break them down?
I don't mind reality tv until people get so absorbed in it that they act like they really know the characters. You wouldn't go around saying things like,"I hope Harry Potter defeats Lord Voldemort tonight." Or, "I sure hope Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy get together." Yet, it's so common to hear such things about reality tv stars. And let's all be honest, they are actors. It is malipulated if not scripted.
Let's not loose sight of real life realationships while being wrapped up in virtual ones.

Hollie said...

manipulated

The Bush Family said...

I totally agree with every aspect that you pointed out. Really...that's not life and it's not a way to find love.

Lara Vanhille said...

Can you PLEASE PLEASE make a blog entry everyday?!! Free entertainment!! I love reading your blog...always makes me smile or break out into laughter!